Auld Orwell Cottage logo

History

Auld Orwell CottageAuld Orwell Cottage was built in 2001 upon the ruins of a shepherd’s Highland croft cottage. Using traditional stone building methods, local craftsmen restored this historic cottage, retaining its original character whilst providing all the benefits of high quality modern comfort.

garden seatThe cottage takes its name from a parish in Kinross-shire. There was an Auld Orwell Kirk on the shores of Loch Leven but in 1729 it was decided to build a new church high on a hill in near-by Milnathort. Some of the stones from Auld Orwell Kirk were carried several miles up to be part of this new church which is still in use today. The owners like the idea of using old stones to build new places.

We thoroughly enjoyed our “writing retreat” and our wild beautiful walks around here
– Rachel Douglas & Stephen Tyre

Photo of address book

Latest News